One thing is always for certain during Florida’s summer, and that’s the heat! With wonderful sunshine and perfectly clear skies comes some very hot days. But if you’re armed and prepared with a few simple things, you can help protect your skin this summer.
- Keep a refillable bottle with you at all times. It’ll remind you to stay hydrated and it will cut down on the plastic waste we put out each day. Spice things up by adding your favorite fruits to the water it to create a tasty drink that’s both hydrating and refreshing. Use fruits like lemon, lime, oranges, and even cucumber (which technically isn’t a fruit, but it’s great for hydration and keeping a fresh flavor in your water).
- Try to combat the heat by staying cool. Do this by wearing light clothing such as dresses, skirts, shorts, tank tops, and sandals. Also, although lighter colors hold less heat, darker hues combat harmful sunrays.
- Be sure to keep sunblock nearby for all occasions during the hot and sunny months of the year. Buy easy-to-store small containers that fit in your purse or pocket. Most sunscreens are only effective for 80 minutes (one hour and 20 minutes), so be sure to reapply every hour or so while outside to keep that protective border from diminishing. If you are being active or playing in the water, you can reapply sooner to reduce your risk for sunburn.
- If you do end up finding yourself or a family member with a sunburn, use a tried-and-true recipe for healing the burn:
- In a glass (use glass to preserve the integrity of ingredients) bottle, mix together one cup of Aloe Vera juice, one teaspoon of pure vitamin E oil, twelve drops of lavender essential oil (EO), six drops tea tree EO, and six drops of chamomile EO. Swirl ingredients together to combine, and spray on affected areas of the skin.
- As always, in addition to everyday routines and remedies, you’re more than welcome to stop by and treat yourself to any of our services. Facials and massages are always a good idea when protecting skin and relaxing during hectic times.
It’s important to always keep in mind the health of your skin. It’s what protects our bodies by being a border between our vital organs and the potential toxins in the outside world.