Collagen is a vital protein in our skin that helps keep the skin firm and supple—preventing wrinkles. While collagen naturally breaks down as we age, it is also affected by environmental factors and our regular activities. By taking care of your skin and finding ways to boost your collage production, you can naturally improve your anti-aging.
Aside from avoiding harmful environmental pollutants and the harsh rays of the sun, there are also a few things you can do to help boost your body’s production of collagen and ensure these proteins are health.
Eating animal proteins are one of the key ways to boost collagen production; specifically clean animal proteins. Stick to cooking and consuming organic poultry, grass-fed cows, and wild-caught fish. Also, go for the tougher cuts—they are higher in collagen.
For those who are vegetarian or vegan, consuming nuts or seeds high in protein like almonds, pumpkin seeds, and pistachios.
There are several types of vitamins and supplements that can be taken to add to your diet to increase the amount of collagen production.
- Collagen Peptides: Supplements formulated with collagen peptides are packed full of the proteins and vitamins that support the collagen production within the body. Many also help other aspects of your health like the growth of your hair and nails and the health of your skin and joints.
- CoQ10: Also known as Ubiquinone is an important aspect of cell metabolism. It is present in all living cells and can be taken as the form of a supplement or may be found in some drinks or health mixes. Studies have shown that CoQ10 helps reduce the depth of wrinkles and has also been seen to boost a body’s collage production.
- Vitamin C: You may already be consuming plenty of vitamin C or perhaps you only increase your intake when you aren’t feeling well. Vitamin C isn’t just an immune booster, it is also necessary for collage synthesis in your skin cells.
Aside from following basic skincare tips, you can also apply certain products to help boost the collagen production of your skin. There are many, many anti-aging skin care products out on the market all claiming to be the best. Look for products that include either of one of the following. If you purchase these items individually, you can create your own at home face mask (like this honey and yogurt one) for a collagen boost.
- Niacinamide: Usually in gel form, this product increases your collagen production and also helps to boost other cells in your skin for a more moisturized skin tone and elasticity.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: This solution is keeps collagen well-nourished and well-hydrated. In turn collagen cells are better able to fill in fine wrinkles and smooth your skin.