The Facts About Men’s Spa Usage:
- There has been a significant and quick increase in men using spa services – In 2003 men made up only 10% of the US spa market, this number had increased to 29% by 2005, and today 49% (almost half!) of all spa services are received by men.
- What is the attraction for men to spa services? The majority of men receiving spa services report that they do so to relax and relieve stress. Although, spa services are also becoming more popular among men who are interested in health and fitness as they see it as just another way of taking care of themselves – if you love your car you make sure you take care of it and keep it detailed, the same thing goes for yourself!
- Which spa services are most popular among men? The most popular spa service men receive are massages (83%), pedicures (37%), facials (31%), and body scrubs (23%).
- Men are also more adventurous when it comes to spa services! Men who receive spa services are reportedly more likely to be open to trying new spa services, with 51% saying they would try hydrotherapy and 47% saying they would try acupuncture or other mind and body treatments.
Many spas offer treatments such as massage, facials, and manicure/pedicures designed specifically for men; so, the men are not receiving the same spa services as women.
So, you’ve decided to try a men’s spa service for the first time, what next?
For most men, a first time visit to a spa is more intimidating than it should be. After all, the purpose of the spa visit is to help you relax, relieve stress, and care for yourself. Many men are intimidated simply because they do not know what to expect or how they should act during a spa visit. This guide will help ensure you are completely prepared for your first visit to a spa, and that it surely will not be your last visit.
First let’s cover the DON’TS:
- Do not be self-conscious. Remember that your therapist is a professional. It’s very unlikely that there is anything about you that they have not seen before. Being at the spa to relax the last thing you need to do is let a bad self-image ruin the experience.
- Do not feel guilty for “spoiling” or “overindulging” yourself. Spa services help you relax and reduce stress. For men especially, reducing stress is a key way to improve both their physical and mental health and well-being. There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself.
- Do not worry about getting “excited”. This is actually a very normal concern for men with regards to spa treatments. If this does happen during a massage, you can ask the therapist to briefly pause the treatment – they won’t mind. Or if you’re really concerned you can ask for a back or neck and shoulder massage only.
- Do not worry about a jealous spouse or partner. Many couples go to the spa together and women understand that spas are professional facilities. If you are concerned about a spouse or partner getting jealous, talk to them and remind them of this, they’ll appreciate the honesty and the invite!
Here are some of the DO’S:
- DO ask questions. The purpose of any spa treatment is to help you relax and enjoy yourself. You can’t do that if you don’t feel comfortable, and you can’t feel completely comfortable if you have unanswered questions. Don’t be afraid to ask the facility any questions you may have about their services, facility, or experiences – they want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible before your spa treatment.
- DO shower before your spa treatment. Some spa facilities will have showers available for you to use before your appointment and some do not. This is something you can ask beforehand. If there will not be a shower available at the facility keep this in mind when scheduling your appointment around work or physical activity.
- DO arrive early. Even once you arrive, there is still a lot to get done before your actual spa treatment begins. You will need to check-in, fill out forms, you may even be given a tour of the facility, and you may also need to change. You want to make sure you arrive with enough time to get ready for your treatment, so you can fully relax and enjoy the treatment when it is time for the appointment. Also remember that many spas have additional services you can take advantage of before your treatment such as lavish sitting areas where you can have tea or fruit infused water, saunas, soak pools, and steam baths – you want to give yourself enough time to really take in the full experience and enjoy all that they have to offer. Usually, arriving at least a half-hour early is best.
- DO unplug. In today’s world it may seem more stressing to turn your phone, computer, or tablet off and unplug. But you want to be able to fully focus on your experience and not be worried about any external stresses that could arise. Use this time as your time to escape!