Long locks require routine care and maintenance to keep hair healthy. As experts in the care, styling, and maintenance of hair, we have a few tips for you that are essential to healthy hair.
- Love Your Brush. A hairbrush is a simple yet vital tool in your hair care regime. Brushing your hair twice a day (when it is not wet) helps keep strands from tangling while spreading the naturally produced hydrating oils from your roots down to your ends. This can help prevent split ends and minimize a “greasy” scalp. In addition to regularly using your hairbrush, don’t forget to keep it clean. At least once a month you should wash your brush (and any combs you use) to remove built up oil or products on the bristles.
- Care for the Type of Hair You Have. Using products designed for the type of hair you have can help repair or prevent damage. For example, if your hair seems to be consistently dry or frizzy, opt for a shampoo and conditioner that moisturizes rather than a cleansing shampoo or conditioner meant to help strip hair of excess oils.
- Wash on Your Schedule. There is mixed advice and rulings from experts about how often to wash your hair—but there is no one-size-fits-all schedule that works for everyone. Wash your hair as often as you see fit. If you have oily hair, then daily washings may work for you while those who have dry hair may skip a wash or two. And don’t feel guilty if you don’t have time for a wash—that’s why there is dry shampoo!
- Like your skin, your hair also needs regular hydration. Be sure to follow every shampooing with a moisturizing conditioner.
- Protect Your Hair. It is important to use products meant to help protect your hair from extreme styling techniques, especially those techniques that implement high heat to achieve results. Heat can cause extensive damage to your locks, so styling creams or products are a must to reduce the risk of damage.
- Most Nourishment Comes From Within. Eating healthy, staying hydrated, managing stress—these are all general well-being tips that can impact the health of your hair. When you take care of yourself, your hair typically follows.
For advice catered to your specific hair care needs, speak with an expert! Schedule an appointment to speak with one of our hair stylists at the Brandon Essentials Spa. We have the experience, products, and training to help you with all hair related questions.