Excessively washing your hair can rob it of its natural oils, leading to weakened and brittle hair. However, as the summer days pass, we may find our hair is greasier than normal and have to wash our hair more often. This is usually because of sweat. The more you sweat, the more oil your scalp will produce, and greasier your hair will get. To combat against this increase in oil product, here are a few at-home remedies you can use on your hair and hopefully reduce the number of times you have to shampoo your hair.
- Aloe Vera. Those with sensitive skin may already have this in their bathroom to help alleviate burns on their skin, if not, it is fairly inexpensive to pick up at a convenience or grocery store. Blend 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and a cup of your regular shampoo. Pour mixture into an empty bottle and use it twice a week to improve the “greasiness” of your hair. Once your hair seems to balance out, you can resume your regular shampoo and use this blend as your go-to shampoo when your hair is feeling excessively oily.
- Fuller’s Earth. This is an organic absorbent you can use to rinse your hair with to remove excess oil without being too harsh—like constant shampooing can be. Fuller’s Earth is a powder, so mix 2 tablespoons with enough water to make a watery paste (it should have a semi-thick consistency before applying it to your hair). Apply it to your roots and let sit for 20 minutes. Then, rinse it out with cold water.
- Black Tea. Make a cup of black tea (no sugar!), straining out the tea leaves. Rinse the tea water through your hair and let sit for 20 minutes. Then, wash it out with warm water.
- Lemon Juice. Mostly know for its lightening ability on hair, lemon juice can also be used to remove oil. Water down a cup of lemon juice and like the above home products, rinse it through your hair and let your hair dry. Once your hair has been dry for about minutes, rinse it out with cold water.
- Eggs and Lemon Juice. Combine the egg whites only from two eggs with lemon juice. Massage into your hair and wait 10 minutes before washing it out with warm water.
These tips are great for individuals who are not used to oily hair and do not have clarifying products on hand to combat the excess oil. They are also perfect for those who are used to oily hair but who want to try more natural methods to combat their oil issue.